#TipTuesday To Shock or Not To Shock?
SHOCKING, ISN’T IS?!?!
No one wants to soak in a dirty hot tub. If your water’s cloudy, or isn’t smelling fresh despite your efforts to keep it clean, it could need a good shock. Shocking your hot tub is the best way you can ensure that the water is safe and free from all contaminants. Whenever you open your hot tub, after a period of inactivity, or as part of your weekly maintenance or even use, it is a good idea to shock before and after use. Here is everything you should know about shocking your hot tub so you are prepared to care for your spa the proper and cleanliest way.
Why Shock Your Hot Tub?
The obvious reason for shocking your hot tub is to clean the water so it is safe for use. If your water is cloudy, shock may take care of that. But what does shock really do for your water?
There are four main reasons to shock your hot tub:
- Remove organic compounds from the water. If you use your hot tub often or you have 3 or 4 bathers in there at once, the level of organic compounds can spike quickly. Removing these compounds is a must for clean water.
- Kill bacteria. Chlorine and bromine based shock compounds can easily kill bacteria growing in the water so it is safe. However, if you use other types of shock compounds, they will not disinfect the water.
- Remove bromamines or chloramines from the hot tub. Adding shock once a week will help break the bonds that form these contaminants so they can easily be removed from the water.
- Reactivate bromides in the spa. If your hot tub uses bromine, adding shock once a week will help activate it to properly clean the water of your hot tub.
There are two main types of shock compounds available – chlorine based and non-chlorine based shocks. Both offer their own strengths and weaknesses and should be a part of every hot tub owners maintenance schedule.
Chlorine Based Shock
These types of shock are both oxidizers and disinfectants as well. They should be used periodically but not every single time you need to give your hot tub a good shock as the chemicals can hard on your hot tub’s plumbing if misused. Chlorine based shock is best used when you first open your hot tub, when you change the water or when you need to give it a good cleaning after a heavy bather load.
These types of shock won’t disinfect the water, so if you are worried about bacteria this isn’t the right one to use. They are great at oxidizing other contaminants and cleaning up the water. This type of shock is for regular use, i.e., on a weekly basis with regular chemical maintenance schedule or after use to keep the water in great shape while you are using your spa on a regular basis.
At Lakeland Unique Pools, Spas & More, we have a full line of chemicals for keeping your water beautiful, crystal clear and healthy at all times. Bring in a sample of your water for free testing. We will make sure you get everything you need – and nothing you don’t!
The Unique Team – We Make It Fun To Stay Home!